Thursday, February 28, 2008

Eureka! I think I'm on to something....

I have to admit that after yesterday's episode I was a little anxious about how today would turn out. Would I or wouldn't I have another attack?

I spent the day, working on the computer and for the most part didn't have any major issues. I did have moments when I felt I couldn't breath well, but I know that's the anxiety talking and it managed to pass without incident. Even though I managed to ward off an incoming attack, I was still tense and stressed all day. Part of the breathing issues, stem from that, because I'm not completely relaxed and when I go to take a deep breath it gets stuck on the inhale. Not that I can't breathe, but I can feel it isn't complete because I'm all tense. It isn't a nice relaxing, contented breath.

That brings me to this afternoon. My husband and I needed to get out of the house bad. We sometimes get stuck here, working on our computer from the comfort of the couch, and then before we know the day has passed, it's dark outside, and we are hungry for dinner.

So today after watching my husband pace the house and then the yard like a caged tiger, I suggested we go for a little hike up the road. We live near a boy scout camp which makes for a very nice hiking area less than a 1/4 mile from the house.

As we started our trek, I felt the anxiety start to build slightly. By the time we made it to the camp, I was somewhat anxious. I have to admit that I'm just a little nervous hiking now. This is partly because of getting lost on the backpacking trip. Even though we are on a trail this time, and not even a mile from our house, it still scares me a little. Very strange.

Anyway, the other reason I get scared is, and I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, but exercise brings on some of the same symptoms as an anxiety attack. Pounding heart, trouble breathing, etc. This was a problem today, as I was already having issues breathing, so when we started hiking it became more pronounced.

This is somewhat disturbing to me, as hiking used to be one of my favorite activities. I still enjoy it, but I can't help feeling nervous when the natural symptoms of physical exertion begin.

Be that as it may, I survived to tell the tale without too much fear, and I haven't even gotten to the good part yet. No, the good part is on the way back, I decided to run. Granted it was a short distance and it was all downhill, but still I did it. This may not sound terribly amazing to some people, but for me it was. Why? Because I don't run. Period. My body isn't made for running. Never has never will be I suspect, what with all the flab and blubber bouncing around it's quite a struggle. Not to mention that I always end up wheezing like an asthmatic cat about 30 seconds into the jog. But today was different. And I ran quite a distance. I did stop though, when the road started to go uphill, because hey, I'm not a magician. I can't make my body endure that kind of physical stress.

And I'm proud to say we made it back home in one piece.

And the amazing thing? After I stopped panting for air, I realized that my body felt relaxed and I could breathe deeply. In fact I hadn't felt this relaxed in weeks. I'm definitely going to try to keep this up, because if this helps anxiety I'm all for it. Besides we need to get out of the house more, and of course exercise is good for you. Although I've always been an advocate of exercising my mouth by eating rather than running, but hey, maybe it's something I can get into. I'll try again tomorrow.

There is only one slight, tiny really, little hitch.... I can't walk now.

No comments: